In ATAP, we create a work environment of Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accountability (IDEA) that fosters and celebrates a diverse workforce that values the contributions of all employees. Our goal is to practice IDEA principles that create a culture of inclusion that empowers people and attracts and engages with the brightest minds to advance Berkeley Lab’s scientific breakthroughs and groundbreaking innovations and the Lab’s vision and mission.
ATAP has moved purposefully towards a more diverse and equitable workplace in the last few years by creating awareness of IDEA principles and increasing actions that foster accountability. Three key activities—raising awareness, growing activities, and increasing accountability—are the core of ATAP’s IDEA strategy and will continue to grow and evolve.
To advance our strategy, we created the ATAP IDEA Committee.
ATAP IDEA Committee
The IDEA Committee meets monthly to develop innovative efforts that help embed IDEA principles and practices in our actions and activities. The committee helps support a workforce that reflects and embraces diversity of gender, race, age, physical ability, sexual orientation, and religious, political, and cultural views.
The committee’s objectives are:
• Participate in Berkeley Lab’s IDEA Office initiatives in support of the Lab’s strategic IDEA goals
• Propose and develop initiatives that promote diversity and inclusion
• Increase the pipelines for women, minorities, and underrepresented minorities (URMS)
• Increase active participation in IDEA initiatives and ERGs
• Increase actions and accountability of IDEA principles
• IDEA in ATAP: Awareness, Actions, and Accountability, a survey article from the May 2022 ATAP Newsletter
• Berkeley Lab Updates Parental Leave Benefits
• Recruitment Best Practices in ATAP
• Microaggressions and the Importance of Being an Upstander
• Why Gender Pronouns Matter and How to Get Them Right
• Making Poster Presentations More Accessible
• Upstanding: Immediacy Is One of its Strengths
Additional Useful Resources
The Physical Sciences Area Workplace Life Committee also works in many IDEA and IDEA-adjacent areas.