Has reading about our research inspired you to join us? Here’s how! Visit regularly to see new career and internship and fellowship opportunities.
STAFF AND POSTDOCTORAL OPENINGS
ATAP presently has opportunities in multiple areas:
Berkeley Accelerator Controls and Instrumentation (BACI) Program
- Program Head (posting 97134), at the level of Physicist Staff Scientist or Physicist Senior Scientist, in the BACI Program.
Berkeley Lab Laser Accelerator (BELLA) Center
- Project Scientist (posting 97636) in the BELLA Center, participating in research relevant to the development of compact laser-driven particle accelerators.
- Postdoctoral Scholar (posting 97658) in the BELLA Center, performing theoretical and computational research in the area of intense laser-and beam-plasma interactions and advanced accelerator concepts for BELLA Center.
- Physicist Research Scientist (posting 97561) in the BELLA Center, leading and executing research relevant to the development of robust, compact, and efficient laser-driven particle accelerators..
- Physicist Postdoctoral Scholar (posting 93729) working on fiber lasers and coherent beam combining in the BELLA Center.
- Postdoctoral Scholar (posting 96321) in the BELLA Center, working on laser-driven plasma particle and photon acceleration experiments (e.g. staging of multiple plasma sections, energy recycling from wakefields, light source development, etc), and general experimental BELLA Center activities
Fusion Science & Ion Beam Technology Program
- Postdoctoral Scholar (posting 95778) in the FS&IBT Program, working on neutron-scattering based carbon measurement in soil.
- Scientific Engineering Associate (posting 96233) in the FS&IBT Program, .coordinating technical operations, and contributing to instrument development, testing and operation
At jobs.lbl.gov you can search for openings throughout Berkeley Lab.
INTERNSHIPS AND FELLOWSHIPS
These programs are not tied to specific openings in ATAP, but we often host participants. The various programs listed on the Berkeley Lab Workforce Development and Education Office website offer many opportunities throughout the Lab and the DOE research complex. Participation in programs like these is part of many a STEM career journey and a great way to explore national-lab opportunities.
The following programs are especially ATAP-relevant and currently accepting applications. Note that the January 10, 2023 application deadline for Summer 2023 opportunities has passed, but we encourage you to explore these programs and reach out to us with any questions.
Summer Undergraduate Laboratory Internship (SULI) Program
The U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship (SULI) program encourages undergraduates from two- and four-year colleges, post-baccalaureates, and graduate students to pursue STEM careers by providing research internships at one of 17 DOE National Laboratories. The application deadline for Summer 2023 SULI internships is January 10, 2023 (there are also Fall and Spring SULI internships). Learn more about internships with at a free (registration required) October 25 DOE webinar.
Office of Science Graduate Student Research (SCGSR) Program
The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science Graduate Student Research (SCGSR) Program prepares doctoral students for career success in areas supporting the Office of Science’s mission: to deliver scientific discoveries and tools that transform our understanding of nature, and to advance the country’s energy, economic, and national security. Selected students spend three to 12 consecutive months performing research towards their theses at a DOE laboratory or facility with a DOE scientist. (Meet some SCGSR scholars hosted recently by ATAP.) The application deadline for the next cycle is November 9, 2022.
Community College Internship Program
The Community College Internship (CCI) program seeks to encourage community college students to enter technical careers relevant to the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) mission by providing 10-week internships at one of 15 DOE laboratories. Learn more about the program, including application assistance webinars on October 31 and November 7, 2022. The application deadline for the Summer 2023 internships is January 10, 2023.
GEM Fellowship (for graduate students)
The GEM program at Berkeley Lab is open to GEM fellows at the master’s and doctoral levels. It aims to cultivate a diverse workforce in the next generation of scientists and engineers. The GEM program specifically recruits African American/Black, Hispanic American/Latino, and American Indian/Native students. GEM fellowships are individually tailored and typically begin by reaching out to a specific researcher. The application must be completed by November 15, 2022 for the current cycle.
Visiting Faculty Program (for college faculty)
The Visiting Faculty Program (VFP), formerly called Faculty and Student Teams (FaST), is intended to support the professional development of current faculty members who want to increase their independent research’s competitiveness through scientific research collaborations with U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) laboratory scientists. Applying faculty members may optionally invite up to two student participants from the faculty member’s home academic institution, one of which may be a graduate student. The application deadline for the Summer 2023 cycle is January 10, 2023.